2008-03-19

Which base language to choose?

I posted this thread at Microsoft Dynamics Forum.

Which base language to choose?

I am currently running MS CRM Dynamics 3.0 in Portuguese (Portugal). I am also evaluating MS CRM Dynamics 4.0 and I will set up a development environment for it. With the new multi-lingual support I'm not sure what base language should I choose for my MS CRM 4 server. I realized I have the following two scenarios:

Scenario 1 (EN+PT):
  • Server: Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Server (4.0.7333.3) - Language: English; Plus Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Language Pack (4.0.7333.151) Language: Portuguese (Portugal)
  • Client: Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook (4.0.7333.3) - Language: English; Plus Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Language Pack (4.0.7333.151) Language: Portuguese (Portugal);

Scenario 2 (PT+EN):

  • Server: Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 server (4.0.7333.151) - Language: Portuguese; Plus Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Language Pack (4.0.7333.3) Language: English;
  • Client: Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook (4.0.7333.151)) - Language: Portuguese (Portugal);Plus Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Language Pack (4.0.7333.3) Language: English;

Notes:
  • SQL Server: SQL Server 2005 - Language: English (will suport MS CRM database);
  • MS CRM 4 Virtual Server: Windows Server 2003 - Language: English (will support MS CRM applications);
  • Clients: Windows XP SP2/Windows Vista - Language: Portuguese (Portugal).

I also read the following in the Language Pack Readme:
"The language of Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook must match the base language for the Microsoft Dynamics CRM implementation.In Microsoft Dynamics CRM, all implementations have a "base language" setting that determines the organization's default formats for numbers, dates, times, and currencies, as well as the default language for the Microsoft Dynamics CRM user interface and Help. The installation language of Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 for Microsoft Office Outlook must match the base language that you have selected for your Microsoft Dynamics CRM implementation.
If you have installed Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook in a language that does not match the base language of your implementation, uninstall both Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook and the local instance of Microsoft SQL Server 2005, and then reinstall Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook using the base language. After you install Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook in the base language, you can install Language Packs on the computer that is running Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook to enable additional languages for the user interface and Help.
Note: Installing a Microsoft Dynamics CRM Language Pack on the computer that is running Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook does not change the language settings for the Office Outlook user interface or Help -- only for labels, controls, and Help unique to Microsoft Dynamics CRM. For more information about how to enable additional languages in Outlook, refer to the Outlook documentation. " which validates my two scenarios.

After giving it more than a thought I arrived to this simple conclusion: I should choose Scenario 1 (EN+PT)) if I would like to manage/develop MS CRM Dynamics 4.0 in English and Scenario 2 (PT+EN) if I would like manage/develop MS CRM Dynamics 4.0 in Portuguese. Either way my end users running XP/Vista in Portuguese will use MS CRM 4 in portuguese through the base language (Scenario 2) or using a language pack (Scenario 1). Am I correct or am I forgetting something?

If I am correct then I would go for Scenario 1 (EN+PT) because it's more universal and it's a lot more easier to find books or support in English than in Portuguese. What do you think about my option and knowing all this, which language would you choose?

Thank you!


Sergio Coelho, IT Project Manager

No comments:

Post a Comment